This Is Auburn Office of the Registrar

Who's a resident?

If Admissions classified you as a Non-Resident and you graduated from an Alabama High School, Please review the Residency Requirements in FAQ.

In order to be considered a Resident for tuition purposes at Auburn University, a student who has been coded Non-resident by Admissions Processing or the Graduate School due to an out-of-state address, test score or transcript at any point in their academic career, must submit a residency appeal packet to our office. (See Residency Situations/Appeal Documents).


  • Fall Semester: July1
  • Spring Semester: November 1
  • Summer Semester: May 1
  • Petitions will not be considered for previous terms

For the purpose of assessing fees, applicants shall be classified as Alabama or non-Alabama students. Non-Alabama students are required to pay a non-resident tuition fee.

Students who come to the state of Alabama from another state for the purpose of attending Auburn University will be considered a "non-resident student" for tuition purposes. Classification of students as a non-resident shall be made at the time of their initial admission to the university and the non-resident status shall continue unchanged through all registrations at the university until and unless satisfactory evidence is provided to qualify for residency.

A person who moves to Alabama for the primary purpose of attending college will not be considered eligible for classification as a resident student.

It is the student’s responsibility to check their residency status when accepted to Auburn University. Students should carefully examine their ebill account as this is a clear indicator of whether one is being charged resident or non-resident tuition.

An Alabama student/resident is a person who is:


A person who establishes domicile in Alabama for the purpose of avoiding non-Alabama fees will be subject to non-resident tuition.

Non-resident students who carry an academic load considered normal (10 or more hours per term for Undergraduates, and 7 hours or more for Graduate students per term) will be presumed to be in the State of Alabama primarily for the purpose of gaining an education and, thus, have not demonstrated the intent to establish a true domicile in Alabama.

Burden of proof for changing residency status rests with the student. Clear and convincing evidence to the contrary must be presented to overcome this presumption. Decisions regarding change of residency will be made by the following dates.

For additional information see the Auburn policy regarding Alabama residency, the Alabama Code and our Frequently Asked Questions.


If you feel you qualify for residency and in-state tuition please review the following guidelines and required documents that must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar and University Residency Advisor for consideration.

Petition for Classification

Continued Employment Verification

Other students eligible for resident tuition:

Please note – supplying all documents required for a residency appeal does NOT guarantee residency but allows us to assess each situation and apply Alabama law accordingly.

Auburn University Employees who need to update their residency status please complete AU Employee Certification form and email to If petitioning for a spouse or a dependent, please include a copy of your most recent state tax return (pages 1&2) to show dependent or spousal relationship.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. I am currently a non-resident student attending Auburn University. How do I change my residency status to in-state?

A. In order for the residency department to reclassify a student to “resident” status, the student must show a 12-month history in the State of Alabama as a full-time employee, must not attend school on a full-time basis during that 12 months (10 hours or more is considered full-time for residency purposes). The student must document his or her residency status in accordance with category A of the Petition for Classification as In-State for Tuition Purposes.

Q. I graduated from an Alabama High School and have always been an Alabama Resident but Auburn University has me listed as a Non-Resident. Why? Or, I live in Alabama but attended high school in another state.
A. Any student who attended or graduated from an out-of-state high school, attended an online college or university, or attended a higher education institution in another state will be coded as a non-resident upon admission. To change your status to “Resident” please provide the following documents by requesting a secure link using FileMover.

  1. Petition for Reclassification to in-state for Tuition Purposes
  2. Copy of Parent’s most recent Alabama Form 40
  3. Letter from the previous institution providing your residency status while enrolled.

* If unable to provide a letter, please provide a copy of your tuition statements showing out-of-state fees were paid and/or evidence that the institution is a private institution and does not differentiate between residents and non-residents.

Q. I live in another state but own property in Alabama and pay property taxes in Alabama, shouldn’t I qualify as a resident?
A. Property ownership alone does not equal residency in the State of Alabama. To satisfy Alabama law and the Auburn Residency Policy, you must demonstrate that the property in Alabama is your residence. Alabama law defines residence as, “The single location at which a person resides with the intent of remaining in that location indefinitely as evidenced by more substantial connections with that place than with any other place.” (Alabama Code 16-64-1)

Q. I live in another state but within 50 miles of Auburn University, can I get in-state tuition?
A. Although Alabama Code 16-64-4 authorizes higher education institutions to extend resident tuition rates to students who reside in any county within 50 miles of its campus, each institution determines whether or not to grant this exception. Auburn does not grant in-state tuition to non-resident students residing within 50 miles of its campus.

Q. My parents are in the military. Does Auburn give out of state waivers to dependents of military personnel?
A. The State of Alabama is specific in granting in-state tuition to military personnel and their dependents. Active Duty military personnel who are ordered or stationed in Alabama are eligible for reclassification to in-state tuition. Active Duty military who claim Alabama as their state of residence on their Leave and Earnings Statement (LES) for 12 months or more are eligible for reclassification to in-state tuition.
Out of State waivers for military personnel, veterans, and their dependents who are using VA Educational benefits should contact the Auburn University Veterans Resource Center at 334-844-8167 or e-mail:

Q. I’m a member of the Alabama National Guard. Am I eligible for in-state tuition?
A. Yes, members of the Alabama National Guard are eligible for a waiver of out-of-state tuition and fees immediately. To request the waiver, please contact Student Financial Services at 334-844-4634.

Q. My parent is self-employed and resides in another state but owns and operates businesses in the State of Alabama. S/he pays business taxes to the State of Alabama. Do I qualify for in-state tuition?
A. Maybe. Your parent’s income must solely derive from his or her business operations in Alabama, and h/she must be physically present and working in the State of Alabama. However, if the business activities in Alabama is part of a larger business operation involving other states, you will have demonstrated more ties to another state than Alabama and would not qualify. Should you decide to petition for reclassification, you should choose category C.

Q. My parent’s employer is transferring him/her to a permanent position in Alabama. Am I eligible for reclassification to in-state for tuition purposes?
A. Yes. Auburn University Policy state, “Spouses and dependent children of persons who establish domicile within the State of Alabama, provided that the person who establishes domicile is employed full-time in a permanent position in Alabama qualify for reclassification to in-state tuition.

Q. My parent works full-time in Alabama but lives in another state. Am I eligible for reclassification to in-state for tuition purposes?
A. Yes. Alabama State law allows reclassification for in-state tuition for non-residents who are employed full-time only in the State of Alabama.

Q. My parent lives in another state but has a sales territory that goes into Alabama. Am I eligible for reclassification to in-state for tuition purposes?
A. No. Residency will be based on your parent’s primary domicile or residence.

Q. Am I eligible for reclassification to in-state for tuition purposes if either I or my parents work for the State of Alabama?

A. Yes. Alabama law provides immediate in-state tuition for employees classified as a State Employee. In order to be classified as State Employee, one can work for any municipality, county, or state agency as long as they participate in a State-run retirement system.

Q. My parent(s) work for Auburn University. Am I eligible for reclassification?
A. Yes. Full-Time Employees of Auburn University are State Employees.

Q. I’m a Student Worker. Am I eligible for reclassification?
A. No. Only Full-time employees of the University are eligible.

Q. If I go to school part-time and work part-time, do I qualify for in-state tuition?

A. No. Auburn policy in accordance with Alabama State law requires persons to show fulltime employment in the State of Alabama. Auburn University considers 35 hours per week as full-time employment.